Monday, May 26, 2014

Vacation in Our Own Back Yard




    School is out and Summer is IN!!
Oh how we love summer! I like getting creative and doing as much fun stuff as I can close to home. It saves time, money and gas. Not to mention the close relationships that the children and I build by just hanging out together. 
Last summer I took advantage of Pinterest for lots of inexpensive fun ideas, activities and recipes for snacks. We did several community service projects. And for a science kick we used www.sciencebob.com and I had two very happy and entertained kids, who were learning all summer.
 This summer my focus is going to be centered around The Big Outdoors - Vacation in Our Own Back Yard. We will be exploring our beautiful state of Arkansas with a concentration near the Ozark Mountains and the Buffalo River area. We kicked it off very well by taking the eighty-something mile trek deep into the Ozark Mountains on Friday.
We went to Kings River Falls Natural Area with some friends from our homeschool group. We had an absolute blast!!  The water was frigid cold but yet not cold enough to keep the kids out. It's a place I think we will visit time and time again. The hike in is only 1.2 miles round trip. However, if it's a hot hot day in July, consider packing lightly. You can, will want to and should plan to bring a lunch, water shoes, water proof camera, sun screen, swimming suit and change of clothes. There are no restrooms. So prepare accordingly. 

We are in close proximity to many great swimming holes that will require no hiking.  That will please my children. They once loved hiking until we hiked Pinnacle Mountain in Little Rock. THAT was it. After that they were done with hiking. I just knew once we had reached the top of the mountain that the astonishing view would get their little legs and young lungs motivated for more - more big mountains. I was wrong. So wrong.
.
 When planning for Outdoor Adventures I always consult Tim Ernst's books. He has written quiet a few on the Arkansas Hiking Trails and Scenic areas. I highly recommend his books as he has written out very detailed driving instructions. (I am capable of using his books and arriving at a predetermined location without ever having to consult a GPS.) He also gives accurate trail descriptions and lots of other important information. I do recommend purchasing the newest edition. We have had many changes and additions to our trails.

Getting the kids out of doors is such a great way to keep them active both physically and mentally.  I don't have to tell you that our children spend too much time in front of a screen. And instead of preaching to my children all summer "Go outside and play" this mama is going to take them outside and play. Our kids love and need our involvement in play as much as any other time. Let's don't just send them outside, let's go with them! 

 

1 comment:

  1. This is really encouraging. I don't take my kids out nearly enough! I'm going to look for those books, for sure!

    ReplyDelete